If your problem areas need a bit of toning up to help you feel more confident on the beach, then try this 90 day bikini body challenge. It works on your thighs, butt and abs, with the exercises alternating in a 3 day pattern, so you focus specifically on one area each day. You can get a link to the bikini body workout plan PDF at the end of the post.
90 day bikini body challenge
General exercise guidelines
Please read these safety notes before you start the challenge.
Warm ups: to avoid any pulled muscles, you should do a warm up set each day as follows:
Squat day: warm up by doing one squat halfway down to parallel with the floor, then increasing the depth slightly for around 8 reps, until you are parallel with the floor (or as near as you can get).
Matwork legs day: as with the squats, start with a “halfway” lift donkey kick and then repeat for around 8 until you are lifting to the full height. Don’t forget to do both legs.
Abs day: the abs set starts with standard crunches, which don’t go through a large range of movement, so you won’t need to do a warm up. However, if you’ve been sitting for a long time, it’s best to move around a bit to mobilise your spine before doing the routine.
- Have your feet a little more than hip distance apart, parallel or slightly turned out.
- Bend at your knees and hips as you lower into squat position. Aim to get your thighs parallel with the floor.
- Come back up gently, making sure you don’t jerk your knees backwards. Repeat for the given number of reps.
#2 Side squat
- Stand with your feet together.
- Take your right leg out to the side as you lower into a wide squat position.
- Bring your right leg back to its starting position.
- Repeat to the left and keep alternating right and left until you have completed the given number of reps on each side.
#3 Squat & leg lift
- Stand with feet hip distance apart, as for a regular squat.
- Go down into a squat, then as you come up out of the squat, lift your right leg out to the side.
- Lower your leg, then squat down and repeat, taking your left leg to the side. Keep alternating right and left until you have completed all the reps.
- Arms: as you come into the squat, cross your arms in front of your body, then take them out to the side as you lift your leg out to the side – this pattern helps with balance and coordination.
#4 Basic crunch
- Lie with your knees bent, feet flat on the floor about hip distance apart.
- Put your hands behind your head to prevent neck strain. You should just be supporting your head, not pulling on it.
- Keep your elbows relaxed out to the side.
- Engage your abdominal muscles and curl your spine smoothly away from the floor.
- Stop when your shoulder blades have left the floor and start to reverse the movement. Again, it should be a smooth, curling movement on the way down.
#5 Reverse crunch
- This time, start by extending your legs so that they are vertical.
- Engage your lower abs as you curl your lower spine off the mat in a smooth curling movement.
- When your lower back has left the floor, start to reverse the movement – curl your spine back down under control.
#6 Bicycle crunch
- Start by lying on your back with your knees bent and feet lifted off the floor
- Bring your right knee towards your upper body and, at the same time, lift your left shoulder off the floor and reach your left elbow towards your right knee.
- Repeat on the other side.
#7 Donkey kicks
- Get into an all-4s kneeling position.
- Making sure you keep your back held straight and your knee flexed at 90 degrees, lift one leg up towards the ceiling. Stop when your thigh is parallel to the floor.
- Lower and repeat.
#8 Fire hydrants
- Start in an all-fours kneeling position.
- Keeping your back in place and your knee bent to 90 degrees, lift one leg out to the side.
- Lift as high as you can without rotating your hips, then lower and repeat.
These are the reps for each day. You can get a printable copy (3 sheet PDF) by entering your e-mail below.
Bikini body workout plan PDF printable
Sign up for My Fitness Planner updates and get the free bikini body workout plan PDF download link e-mailed to you:
After you sign up, you’ll get 3 e-mails:
The first will ask you for a one-click confirmation of your subscription
Once you’ve confirmed, you’ll get a second e-mail with a link to your download and a separate welcome e-mail