This legs, bums and tums 30 day challenge covers the 3 most popular areas to train for women. Thighs and bums tend to be a problem because that’s where women generally store fat. Even if you’re slim, it’s likely you’ll have more fat here than the rest of your body, making it the hardest part to achieve a trained, firm look. With the abdominal area, the problem is very often pelvic alignment. A forward tilting pelvis is usually accompanied by poor abdominal tone. The legs and bums exercises in the challenge will build your muscle tone, while the ab exercises will mainly train your core, which is important for good pelvic alignment.
Legs tums and bums 30 day challenge – the exercises
- Have your feet a little more than hip distance apart, parallel or slightly turned out.
- Bend at your knees and hips as you lower into squat position. Aim to get your thighs parallel with the floor.
- Come back up gently, making sure you don’t jerk your knees backwards.
- Stand with your feet about hip distance apart.
- Take one leg out behind you and touch your toes to the floor. Make sure you keep your feet hip width apart.
- Now bend at both knees, so that you lower your body towards the floor. At the end of the movement, your thighs should be parallel with the floor, your front knee should be bent to 90o and in line with your ankle, your back knee should be just above the floor.
- Return to the starting position and repeat on your other leg.
#3 Donkey kicks
- Get into an all-4s kneeling position.
- Making sure you keep your back held straight and your knee flexed at 90 degrees, lift one leg up towards the ceiling. Stop when your thigh is parallel to the floor.
- Lower and repeat.
- Do all your repetitions on this leg, then repeat on the other.
#4 Fire hydrants
- Start from the all-4s position again.
- Lift one leg out to to side, making sure your knee stays bent at 90°.
- Lift as high as you can without rotating your spine and pelvis, then lower and repeat.
- Do all your repetitions, then repeat on the other leg.
#5 bicycle crunches
- The start position is with your feet in the air and your hands behind your head.
- Extend your right leg to a 45° angle with the floor.
- At the same time, bring your left knee towards your upper body and lift your right shoulder off the floor to reach your elbow towards your knee.
- Now extend your left leg and bring your left elbow towards your right knee.
- Keep alternating for the given number of reps.
- Start in an all-4s kneeling position.
- Straighten one leg out behind you, with the toes on the floor.
- Engage your core strongly and extend the other leg behind.
- Your body should be making a straight line – if possible check in a mirror or ask someone else to check
- Now hold this position for the given number of seconds.
- Then lower your knees to the floor and rest.
These are the repetitions of the exercises for each day of the challenge:
Please read these general safety notes before you do the challenge.
Please also note that as the plank exercise involves holding a static muscle contraction, it can cause an increase in blood pressure. It is therefore not advisable for anyone who has high blood pressure.
You’ll need an exercise mat or some other form of cushioning – a folded blanket for example – for the bums and tums days.
For the legs days, do a few warm up squats before you do your reps for the day. To do this, start by only squatting half way down, then increase the depth of the squat over 5-6 repetitions until you are doing a full squat.