Last updated on May 25th, 2022 at 05:04 pm
If you want to start working out at home, then give this beginner circuit workout a try. It’s a 20 minute, equipment-free full body routine with no mat work. There are 8 exercises – 4 cardio and 4 strength, to be done for 30 seconds each circuit. See the bottom of the page for how to download a printable of the workout.
Notes on doing the beginner circuit workout
- Before you do the workout, please read these general exercise guidelines.
- Jogging and side leaps are high impact exercises. They may not be suitable if you have problems with your hips, knees or ankles, if you are overweight, or if you find them uncomfortable for any other reason. If this applies to you, then see the end of the post for some suggested low impact circuits.
- Complete 30 seconds of each exercise. If it is a single leg exercise, do 15 seconds on one leg and then swap. When you’ve done all 8 exercises, start again for the second circuit. Continue like this until you’ve done 4 circuits.
- You should do a warm up for this workout – see here for a suitable one and read more about why warm ups are important here.
- When you’ve finished the final circuit, march in place until your heart rate returns to normal.
- Have your feet a little more than hip distance apart, parallel or slightly turned out.
- Bend at your knees and hips as you lower into squat position. Aim to get your thighs parallel with the floor.
- Come back up gently, making sure you don’t jerk your knees backwards.
- Avoid arching your back or rounding your shoulders and keep your neck in line with your spine.
#3 Lunge behind
#4 Knee lift
- Raise your arms overhead.
- Lower your arms as you lift one knee.
- Raise your arms as you lower the knee.
- Lower your arms as you lift the other knee.
#5 leg lift behind
- Have both hands on the wall for support.
- Make sure that you stand straight and don’t arch your low back.
- Take one leg out behind you, and flex your foot, so that only your toes are touching the floor.
- Lift your leg as high as you can without arching your back.
- Lower your leg back down, until your toes touch the floor behind you. Then repeat.
#6 Wall press up
#7 Side leg lift
- Stand sideways to the wall and put one hand on it for support.
- Make sure you are standing straight (not bending forward), with your butt pulled under your body.
- Lift your leg out to the side, making sure it is in line with your body – as if you were standing in a very narrow space between 2 walls. Take your leg as high as you can without leaning over. Lower and repeat.
#8 side leaps
- Start by standing with your feet close together.
- Raise your right knee, then jump sideways to the right, leading with your right leg.
- Follow through with your left leg, bringing your left foot close to your right.
- Now lift your left knee and repeat to the left.
Get the beginner circuit workout printable
Sign up for My Fitness Planner updates and get the free printable download link e-mailed to you:
After you sign up, you’ll get 3 e-mails:
The first will ask you for a one-click confirmation of your subscription
Once you’ve confirmed, you’ll get a second e-mail with a link to your download and a separate welcome e-mail