Make your home cardio workouts more fun and varied with these workout dice. Instead of having a set workout, use the dice to generate a different workout each time. There’s one dice to tell you which exercise to do and one to tell you how many seconds to do it for. The variety will help to keep your body challenged and stop your workouts from becoming stale. Read the exercise instructions here, then download the printable fitness dice and get started with your fun cardio workouts!
Information about this workout
This is a high impact workout and is therefore more suited to those who already have a reasonable level of fitness. If you’re a beginner, it would be better to start with a walking program or a beginner running program to build up your cardio endurance.
Please make sure your joints and muscles are warm before doing the workout. This could be from general activity such as household chores or walking, alternatively, do this warm up.
Please also read these general exercise guidelines.
You should wear training shoes for this workout, to cushion the impact on your joints.
How to do the workout
You’ll need some sort of timer – either a phone app, a stop watch, or just a clock with a second hand.
The exercise instructions are below. Choose which of the two interval dice you want to use – an intermediate or an advanced (longer time intervals) workout. Roll whichever one you choose, together with the exercises dice to make a combination of exercise and time interval. Do the exercise for the given time, then roll the dice again for your next interval. You will, of course, sometimes roll the same exercise twice running. If this happens, just roll again.
Keep going for however long you want your workout to be. When you’ve finished, march in place for about a minute to allow your heart rate to return to resting. If you have time to do some stretches after your workout, then do this stretching routine.
How to make up the fitness dice
Print the dice onto any printer paper. The thicker the paper, the more robust the dice will be, but normal weight paper will work fine.
1. Cut around the dice and fold along all the lines (making folds before you add the glue makes it easier to put the dice together)
2. Apply paper glue to the purple tabs
3. Fold the paper into a cube and stick the glued tabs
4. Now place the cube so that the top flap is lying on a flat surface. Put glue around the edges of the top flap.
5. Press the top flap onto the pink tabs to complete the dice.
Fun cardio workout – exercise instructions
- Stand with your feet together and arms by your side. Jump your legs wide as you take your arms over your head.
- Lower your arms as you jump your feet back together.
- It’s important that you don’t let your knees rotate inwards as you land. To help avoid this, turn your toes outwards slightly as you land.
#2 Mountain climbers
- Get into an all-4s position on the floor. Make sure your hands are directly below your shoulders.
- Take your legs out behind, keeping your back slightly curved.
- Now bring one knee at a time in towards your arms.
- Stand with your feet fairly close together, then bend your knees a little to prepare to jump.
- Take a small jump and rotate your whole body through 90o.
- Bend your knees as you land, then jump again and rotate back to the starting position.
#4 Jog in place
- Keep your shoulders back and abdominal muscles engaged.
- Focus on jogging in a controlled way, don’t land heavily on your feet.
#5 side leaps
- Start by standing with your feet close together.
- Raise your right knee, then jump sideways to the right, leading with your right leg.
- Follow through with your left leg, bringing your left foot close to your right.
- Now lift your left knee and repeat to the left.
#6 squat jumps
- Start in a squat position, with your arms down by your sides.
- Swing your arms up over your head as you push your toes off the ground and jump up,
- Come back down onto the floor in the starting position and repeat.
Download the fitness dice printable (3 PDF sheets)
Enter your e-mail below to get a link to the cardio workout dice printable e-mailed to you
After you sign up, you’ll get 3 e-mails:
The first will ask you for a one-click confirmation of your subscription
Once you’ve confirmed, you’ll get a second e-mail with a link to your download and a separate welcome e-mail