It’s hard to fit exercise into a busy life, but most people should be able to find 10 minutes a day for this walking program. Just walking at normal pace for 10 minutes a day will make a difference to health and weight control. In this interval walking program, some of the minutes are spent walking at a faster pace. This means that you will get even more benefits. The first and last couple of minutes of each walk serve as warm up and cool down. The middle section is used to work a bit harder, so that you get your heart rate up.
Fitting it in
It shouldn’t be too hard to find the time to fit your walk in. For example you could:
- Go for a walk on your lunch hour
- Get off the bus/train a stop early
- Park a bit further away from where you’re going
- Use the school run – drop the kids off then take a longer route home if necessary to make it a 10 minute walk
- Get up 10 minutes earlier and have an early morning walk
What you need
All you need is comfortable clothes and shoes, a water bottle and some way of timing yourself.
7 day interval walking program schedule
The plan is for 10 minute walks on 6 days of the week, with a rest day on Sunday. There are 3 different walks to keep it varied and challenge your body in different ways. The walks are all split up into intervals at 3 different speed levels. These are:
- Level 1: a normal walking pace
- Level 2: a bit faster than normal walking speed, enough to make you breathe a bit heavier and feel warmer
- Level 3: brisk walking – at this level you are starting to feel out of breath and holding a conversation is more difficult
Note: although walking is a natural, everyday activity, please read these general safety guidelines before doing fast walking.
Printable stickers free download
You can get this free printable to make sticker prompts for your planner or diary. The boxes are 3.7cm/1.46inch wide to fit most planners. There’s also a blackout version for easy tracing if you have a cut machine. Enter your e-mail address below to have the download link mailed to you.
After you sign up, you’ll get 2 e-mails:
The first will ask you for a one-click confirmation of your subscription.
Once you’ve confirmed, you’ll get a second e-mail with a link to the download.
Pin this for later
More walking programs for you to try: