Complete 500 squats in 30 days, starting with an easy 5 squats on the first day. Squats work all the leg muscles and it’s easy to fit a few minutes of squats into your day. You can do them anywhere, you don’t need much space or a mat. The number of squats adds up to 500 over the course of the month, starting with just 5 on the first day and gradually building up to 45.
How to squat
Squatting is a natural movement that we often do in every day life, but to get the most out of the challenge and to avoid injury risk, make sure you follow all the technique points below. People with knee problems can find squats uncomfortable – if this applies to you, then try this challenge instead.
Please read these general exercise safety notes before starting the challenge.
- Have your feet a little more than hip distance apart, parallel or slightly turned out.
- Bend at your knees and hips as you lower into squat position. Aim to get your thighs parallel with the floor.
- Make sure your knees don’t go any further forward than your toes.
- Come back up gently, making sure you don’t jerk your knees backwards.
- Avoid arching your back or rounding your shoulders and keep your neck in line with your spine.
500 squats challenge
These are the number of squats for each day to make up your 500. The reps increase by 1 each day to start with, but the increases get bigger towards the end of the challenge. Make sure you take the rest days – rest is an important part of fitness.
Get a printable copy of the chart
Sign up for My Fitness Planner updates and get a free printable download of this workout e-mailed to you:
After you sign up, you’ll get 2 e-mails:
The first will ask you for a one-click confirmation of your subscription
Once you’ve confirmed, you’ll get a second e-mail with a link to your download