The glutes are made up of 3 muscles whose jobs are mainly to take the leg behind the body and out to the side. There are all sorts of ways of working them – standing, floor work, gym machines, resistance bands, barre work etc. This glute exercises program is a 30 day challenge which uses 2 basic floor work moves – “donkey kicks” and “fire hydrants”. Like most fitness challenges, the reps increase a little each day, so that you gradually improve your muscle strength and tone.
Before you start the challenge, please read these general exercise guidelines.
This exercise and the donkey kick pulses below mainly work the large glute muscle – gluteus maximus.
- Get into an all-4s kneeling position.
- Making sure you keep your back held straight and your knee flexed at 90 degrees, lift one leg up towards the ceiling. Stop when your thigh is parallel to the floor.
- Lower and repeat.
Donkey kick pulses
For pulses, take your thigh to where is it parallel to the floor, then move 1-2 inches down and up from here.
In this one, the leg is lifted out to the side, working the two smaller muscles, gluteus medius and minimus.
- Start in an all-fours kneeling position.
- Keeping your back in place and your knee bent to 90 degrees, lift one leg out to the side.
- Lift as high as you can without rotating your hips, then lower and repeat.
Just follow the number of reps on the chart for each day of the challenge. You can get a printable copy e-mailed to you by entering your e-mail address below.
Sign up for My Fitness Planner updates and get a free printable download of this workout e-mailed to you:
After you sign up, you’ll get 2 e-mails:
The first will ask you for a one-click confirmation of your subscription
Once you’ve confirmed, you’ll get a second e-mail with a link to your download